Your Brexit questions answered

We understand just how confusing everything surrounding Brexit has become. So we’re here to make some things a little clearer for you. 

The bottom line? Book your camping holiday with us, and we won’t let you down. We’ll continue to deliver European holidays that offer a wealth of possibilities, with freedom fun and, most importantly, security built into every one.

Here are just a few things to help put your mind at rest, and prepare you for the road ahead, whatever happens in the coming months.

The United Kingdom has now officially left the EU. But as far as travel to Europe is concerned, nothing changes, at least until the end of 2020.

Peace of mind

Is my booking safe?

Yes. Despite the UK due to leave the EU on 31st January, nothing will change until after 31st December 2020.

The most important thing you need to know is that, whatever happens, your booking comes with peace of mind as standard. Our focus remains the same as it always has - providing safe, trustworthy and fully protected holidays to our customers. 

If my flights or ferry / Eurotunnel does not operate because of issues around Brexit, will my money be refunded?

With Allcamps you have booked accommodation only. You have booked flights, ferry or Eurotunnel separately. Therefor we are unable to refund you. You would need to speak to the relevant booking agent or Travel Supplier directly to understand if they offer you financial protection.

Departing the UK

Will my passport be valid?

In the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal, new rules will apply, meaning you’ll need to check your passport ahead of time.

The UK government recommends that travellers going to the EU after 12 April 2019 have six months left on their passport, and is also advising that any extra months which have been added to a 10 year passport will not be valid.

Not sure if this affects you? There’s a handy online passport checker you can fill in.

You can renew your passport online or by going to a Post Office with a Check and Send service. We’d recommend you don’t leave this to the last minute!

Do I need a Visa?

It’s highly unlikely you’ll need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. The European Commission confirmed that, even after a no-deal exit, UK travellers can still visit the EU without a visa, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK. The European Commission has said that from 2021, after the transition period (if we leave with a deal) UK citizens will need to pay a fee of around 7 Euros for this visa exemption, similar to the US ESTA arrangement.

What about my pet passport?

If the UK leaves with no deal, it would become a so-called ‘third country’ for the purposes of the EU Pet Travel Scheme. There are three categories of ‘third country’ - each presenting different outcomes, from no change to your pet passport requirements to the need to have your pet checked by an official veterinarian either four months or 21 days in advance of travel. See this page for more information.

Travel arrangements

How will it affect ferries?

Brexit will not affect the ability of ferries to sail between the UK and the rest of Europe. The Government has also set out that it wants to make no changes to passport controls for travel between the UK and the Continent.

It’s worth noting, however, that ports are always busier during the holiday season and we recommend that you arrive in plenty of time for your sailing. It’s always a good idea to check with your ferry operator to assess whether delays will be likely.

In a no-deal scenario, UK passport holders could experience disruption at borders when travelling, so should allow additional time for passport and security checks.

Will flights be affected?

Whatever happens following the date the UK is scheduled to leave the European Union, the EU Commission has confirmed that UK airlines will still be able to operate flights between the UK and the EU.

If a deal is agreed then we will be in a transition period, meaning everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal. And even if there is no deal, the EU has confirmed that flights will not be affected.

In a no-deal scenario, UK passport holders could experience disruption at borders when travelling, so should allow additional time for passport and security checks.

Can I use my driving licence?

Following a no-deal exit, UK citizens with a full UK driving licence planning to drive in the EU may need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP). Check which permit you’ll need for each country. There will be two different types of IDP that apply in EU countries, therefore if you’re driving through a few – for example driving to Spain via France, you will require both the 1949 IDP and the 1968 IDP.

Permits cost £5.50 and are available directly from the AA, the RAC or the Post Office. IDPs have been available at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK since 1st February.

Will I need a Green Card?

ABTA advises there is no need for UK drivers to carry a Green Card (proof of third-party insurance) during the transition period. For further advice on insurance needed please contact your vehicle insurer.

Insurance & health arrangements

Do I need travel insurance?

Holidaymakers are advised to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, even with a valid EHIC card. But, following a no-deal exit, this advice is essential. We’d always recommend you check any insurance covers your current medical conditions and any previous medical history is clearly noted. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you need to make any updates.

Will my EHIC be accepted?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. For the duration of the transition period until the end of December 2020, nothing will change and your EHIC card will still be valid. 

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows EU citizens to receive state medical care when they are within the EU.