Travel Information

Soon you will be going on holiday. We like to send you on your way well-prepared, which is why we have listed some useful information for you. We wish you a happy holiday in advance!

Always arrange

  • Read the destination country's travel advice. That way you will know what you need to take into account. Foreign Travel Advice 

  • Make sure you have a valid passport or ID card. You can travel to all countries in our range with an ID card. Check in advance how long your travel document needs to be valid. This can be done here.  Some campsites ask for (a copy of) your ID so good to bring a copy.

  • Provide various means of payment (cash, debit card, and possibly a credit card).

  • Take out travel insurance. Not only useful for luggage, but the costs only become really high if, for example, you have an accident or have to be repatriated. Tip: put the number of the emergency center of your insurance in your phone.

  • Check which medical care costs your health insurance covers abroad and bring your EHIC with you.

  • Register your travel abroad. This way, the embassy knows that you are in the country should an emergency or crisis occur.

  • Breakdown with the car abroad? Before departure, check whether and where your breakdown is covered (dealer, travel or car insurance, roadside assistance. UK & European Breakdown Coverage and what conditions apply!

  • A serious accident abroad? Call the police/or ambulance via 112 (throughout Europe) and call the emergency centre of your travel insurer. They will arrange the next steps for you. Don't forget to fill in the European Claim Form. Also, write down details of witnesses and check whether the license plates and the insurer of both parties are filled in correctly. Take pictures of the situation, the damage, and traces. In case of theft etc. do not forget to report it to the police.

  • Although a green card is not mandatory in every country, it is useful to always have it with you. In the event of a collision, this saves a lot of hassle. You will also find information about what to do in the event of damage.

  • In many countries, it is mandatory to have a warning triangle, a safety vest, a spare wheel, a first-aid kit, spare lamps, and a fire extinguisher in the car. So take these items with you, then you are always in the right place.

Ferrys To & From UK

Ferries are a relaxing and convenient way to travel. With a wide variety of routes available from the UK, you can reach campsites in many destinations across France, Spain, and Holland easily, with the freedom and flexibility to journey at your own pace in your own car! 

There are many ferries lines from which to choose including 

  • Stena Line
  • P&O Ferries
  • Irish Ferries
  • Brittany Ferries 
  • DFDS Ferries 

Ferry routes to France

  • Dover to Calais 
  • Dover to Dunkirk 
  • Folkestone to Calais Eurotunnel
  • Newhaven to Dieppe 
  • Plymouth to Roscoff 
  • Poole to Cherbourg 
  • Poole to St Malo 
  • Portsmouth to St Malo 

Ferry routes to Spain

  • Portsmouth to Santander
  • Plymouth to Santander
  • Portsmouth to Bilbao

Ferry routes to The Netherlands

  • Harwich to Hook of Holland
  • Hull to Rotterdam

Additional useful info

  • UK car stickers – you will need a UK car sticker for your own car when driving in the EU.

    UK Blue Badges can be used in some EU countries, plus Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland. Parking concessions vary in each country so it is important you check the details for your destination. More information can be found here. Using a Blue Badge in the European Union - GOV.UK (

    Driving permits – if you have a paper license or your driving license was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man you may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway. These are available from the Post Office. If you have a card driving license, you do not require an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein.

  • Do you take any medication with you on holiday? Ask at the pharmacy or check in this list whether your medicines fall under the Opium Act and if so, request a statement from the CAK

  • Are you going by plane and renting a car? A credit card may be required.  

  • Is your dog, cat, or ferret going on holiday? Then your animal needs an EU pet passport, a chip, and a rabies vaccination. Also, in some countries (and therefore also on campsites in these countries) certain dog breeds are prohibited or strict rules apply to these animals, because they may pose a danger to their environment. This is the case, for example, in France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, the United Kingdom, and parts of Germany. Read more about these rules here.

  • Passport rules - A driver's license is not valid abroad as proof of identity. If you have a British passport, it can’t be more than 10 years old when entering the EU and most places will require you to have at least three months left on your passport on the date you depart from your destination.  You can find the passport validity rules for the country you’re visiting by checking the FCDO’s advice and reading the entry requirements section.

    Passport stamping was expected to become fully automated in 2023 through the new Entry/Exit System (EES) to help process travelers quickly and efficiently. The new system was pushed back further so it is not yet in place and is unlikely to be until the end of 2024.

  • Are you traveling alone with a minor child, for example, because you are divorced? Or are you bringing your child's boyfriend or girlfriend? Then you must be able to prove that you have permission from the parent(s). This can be done with a declaration of consent.

  • Put a contact's phone number as In Case of Emergency (ICE) number in your phone.

  • Rules around mobile data roaming have changed meaning you may face charges when using your phone in the EU, including for making calls, sending messages, or using the internet. Check with your mobile phone provider for details.

  • Black Saturdays: n 2024, Black Saturdays are July 20 and 27 and August 3 and 10.

  • Tip: photograph your passport/ID, insurance card, bank card, emergency numbers, and other important items before departure. Mail or app them to yourself or other travel companions, so you still have important data at hand in the event of loss or theft.

  • We recommend that you book your visit to tourist attractions in advance. Otherwise, you risk long queues!

  • Water is drinkable in almost all European countries. Sometimes it tastes different due to the addition of chlorine. When in doubt, you can buy bottled water in the supermarket.

  • For hygiene purposes, some campsites require bathing caps and tight-fitting shorts when in the pool.

  • In southern European countries, people often eat late.  Please note that (outside the campsite) there is often no one in the restaurant before 19:00

  • If you withdraw money from an ATM, avoid ATM Euronet or GWK Travelex machines, which are not connected to a bank. You get a worse exchange rate here and pay additional transaction fees. Always choose 'without conversion' or 'decline conversion' when withdrawing, your own bank then determines the exchange rate and not the local bank. That's a lot cheaper.

  • Items you can take in and out of EU.  You can’t take any meat, milk, or any products containing these items into the EU. There are exceptions for powdered baby milk, baby food, or pet food required for medical reasons.  When returning from the EU to the UK, you can bring in a certain amount of goods without paying tax or duty. More details on this can be found at  


On the motorways in Austria and Switzerland, it is mandatory to have an Autobahn vignette. These vignettes are available at the motorway border crossings of Austria and Switzerland, or at the ANWB

  • For Austria, you can choose from a vignette with a validity of 10 days, 2 months, or 1 year.
  • A Swiss Autobahn vignette is valid for 1 year by default.

On the main roads of Slovenia you need a valid toll vignette. All motorways and motorways in Slovenia are toll roads. An e-vignette is also available in Slovenia at toll stations, petrol stations, supermarkets, and kiosks. Outside Slovenia in the border region at large petrol stations and the shops of the ÖAMTC in Austria. For points of sale, see:

In some areas in Germany you need an environmental sticker. If you drive through Germany, but do not go off the motorway, you do not need an environmental sticker. If you are going to spend the night in Germany, you may enter an environmental zone, where an environmental sticker is mandatory, including Munich, Stuttgart, and Neu-Ulm. Order the environmental badge here.

Tip: With the TollGuru, you immediately see an indication of the costs for fuel and tolls and this route planner also indicates where environmental zones are.

Flying from the UK

The UK is well-connected with Europe


  • Heathrow Airport
  • London Gatwick Airport
  • Manchester Airport
  • Birmingham Airport
  • Stansted Airport
  • Leeds Bradford Airport
  • Luton Airport
  • Southend Airport

Northern Ireland:

  • Belfast International Airport
  • George Best Belfast City Airport
  • City of Derry Airport


  • Aberdeen International Airport
  • Edinburgh Airport
  • Glasgow Airport
  • Glasgow Prestwick Airport


  • Cardiff Airport

When going through passport control, you may not be able to use the EU or EEA passport lanes and may need to join the lane for ‘third country' or ‘non-EU’ visitors instead. Your passport will be stamped by the border officer on entry and exit to make sure you’re complying with the 90-day visa-free limit for short stays. Some EU countries are currently rolling out an e-gate system to replace some of the manual passport checks.

You may also need to show a return ticket and that you have enough money for your stay.  

Disclaimer: The information on this page has been carefully compiled. However, we do not accept any liability for incorrect or incomplete information. The links we use to other websites are for information purposes only. These websites are not maintained by